Try to match the Greek names to the planets, based on their descriptions, & the Roman names to the gods. The Greek names are: Ares, Hermes, Aphrodite, Cronus, Poseidon, Zeus, & Hades (Uranus was left out - no wise cracks about that, now....). The Roman names are Saturn, Venus, Neptune, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter & Pluto. The description of each god is for the Greek version, unless listed otherwise. If you can get more than 7 of these right, you have done something truly astronomical & divine!
1. The planet closest to the sun has about 1/3 the force of gravity that is found on the surface of Earth. It revolves around the sun every .24 Earth years.
2. The sixth planet from the sun is encircled by rings. This planet consists mostly of hydrogen.
3. The fifth planet from the sun is the largest in the solar system. This enormous planet is made mostly from the two most abundant and lightest elements in the universe.
4. Named after the Roman god of war, this planet has two moons, known as Phobos and Deimos.
5. The eighth planet from the sun is also the fourth largest. It has a striking blue color.
6. The planet that revolves around the sun every 247.7 years is the ninth one from it. It has a large moon that is known as Charon.
7. The second planet from the sun is very bright, and is known as the morning star and the evening star at different times of the day.
8. This is the god of war in both Greek and Roman myths. In Greek mythology, he is the son of Zeus.
9. The messenger of the gods is known for his winged sandals and hat.
10. This god was at one time the ruler of the universe, and was one of the twelve Titans. He swallowed each of his first five children as soon as they were born, because he had been told that one of his children would overthrow him. The sixth child, Zeus, did (with a little help).
11. The god of the sea is often pictured with a beard and holding a trident. Although married, he had numerous love affairs. He and the Gorgon Medusa are the parents of the winged horse Pegasus.
12. The ruler of the Olympian gods is often pictured hurling a thunderbolt. This god has several children, some of them from his wife.
13. The goddess of love and beauty, she was originally married to Hephaestus, & later to Ares.
14. The god of the dead and ruler of the underworld was actually not evil. He is the brother of Zeus and Poseidon.
Do you love movies? I most certainly do! For this 20 question trivia quiz, try to match the 20 names of actresses & actors listed here to the movies & the roles that they played in the movies that are listed below. Each name will be used exactly once. Have fun!
Cast list: Jeff Goldblum, Sandra Bullock, Milla Jovovich, Dennis Hopper, Meryl Streep, Alicia Silverstone, Kurt Russell, Robbin Williams, Chris Tucker, Brad Pitt, Jack Lemmon, Gene Hackman, Woody Allen, Kate Winslet, James Earl Jones, Eddie Murphy, Sean Connery, Brian Dennehy, Damon Wayans, Bill Murray.
15. Plays an overweight college instructor & several other characters in The Nutty Professor.
16. He's a counselor & Vietnam veteran in Good Will Hunting.
17. He does the voice of Darth Vader in the Star Wars trilogy.
18. Plays the role of (young) Rose in the the 1998 blockbuster movie Titanic.
19. Espouses chaos theory in Jurassic Park.
20. She's the star & narrator of the movie Clueless.
21. He played agent James Bond in Dr. No & several other early Bond movies. Many people believe this actor played James Bond the best.
22. Stars as an unwitting hero in The Man Who Knew Too Little.
23. Plays a humorous small time criminal with an affinity for Barry White songs in Money Talks.
24. He's a redneck cop who tries to run war veteran played by Sylvester Stalone out of town in First Blood.
25. The maniacal leader of the villains in Waterworld.
26. Plays eye patch wearing hero Snake Plissken in Escape from New York.
27. He's the coach in the movie Hoosiers.
28. Albert Brooks' character falls in love with the character played by this actress in Defending Your Life.
29. He stars as a terribly unsuccessful thief in Take the Money and Run.
30. This individual was the Fifth Element in the movie by that name.
31. This actor plays a once successful salesman who becomes desperate after an extended slump in Glengarry Glen Ross.
32. Plays a cop who is fond of 20th Century sayings (although she never fails to screw them up) in Demolition Man.
33. He's a Marine Corps officer who takes a job teaching junior ROTC in the movie Major Payne.
34. The character played by Bruce Willis meets the humorous, but mentally unstable character played by this actor in a mental institution in the movie 12 Monkeys.
This trivia quiz is entirely true/false. See how many of the problems you can answer correctly - you have done extremely well if you are right on more than 15 of them. Have fun!
35. Bubba's last words to Forrest Gump in the movie by that name are "I wanna go home."
36. Tim Allen does the voice of Woody in the movie Toy Story.
37. Cuba Gooding Jr. plays the role of Malcolm X in the movie by that name.
38. Sharon Stone was the Serial Mom in the movie by that name.
39. It is suggested that Ike & Tina might get back together at the end of the movie What's Love Got To Do With It?
40. In the 1994 movie Junior, Schwarzenegger's character falls in love with the one played by Jodie Foster.
41. The character Jack is played by Leonardo DiCaprio in the 1997 movie Titanic.
42. In the Japanese animated movie Vampire Hunter D, the "D" turns out to stand for Dracula.
43. At the end of The Crying Game, the character played by Forest Whitaker helps an IRA volunteer escape from prison.
44. In the movie Ed Wood, the character by that name is played by Johnny Depp.
45. Searching for Bobby Fischer is based on a true story.
46. In the 1998 movie Godzilla, 2 attempts are made to lure the monster by using fish.
47. In Kiss the Girls, the character played by Morgan Freeman is killed in an explosion caused by gas & the discharge of his firearm.
48. There is a scene in the movie Restoration where the character played by Robert Downey Jr. touches a live man's brain.
49. The mastermind in The Usual Suspects turns out to be the character played by Kevin Spacey.
50. A treasure map is found to be tattooed on a pirate's skull in Cutthroat Island.
51. It is mentioned at the end of Animal House that the character played by John Belushi goes on to become an attorney for the ACLU.
52. The movie Blade Runner is based on the book Tomorrow's End, by Robert Heinlein.
53. The character played by John Travolta is an FBI agent in Face/Off.
54. Sidney Poitier's famous line "they call me Mister Tibbs" became the name of the sequel to In the Heat of the Night.
See how many of these sci-fi trivia questions you can answer correctly. Par is 10 correct, & you are a true science fiction guru if you can answer more than 15 of these correctly. Enjoy!
55. What's the name of the little green guy who trains Luke in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back?
56. In Asimov's book Foundation, who develops psychohistory?
Elric of Melnibone
57. During the TV series Battlestar Galactica, the opponents of the humans (which look like robots) were called
58. Flash Gordon's main enemy was named
Kane the Betrayer
Tiriac the Cruel
Graal the Fearsome
Ming the Merciless
59. In Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End, the aliens look like
60. Who wrote Fahrenheit 451?
61. Who plays Dana Scully on The X-Files?
62. In the movie Logan's Run, people are only allowed to live to age
63. Who plays Deckard in the movie Blade Runner?
64. Who played Steve Austin on the Six Million Dollar Man?
65. Who was the Highlander in the movie by that name?
66. What is the name of the computer that kills much of the crew in 2001: A Space Odyssey?
67. The character in H.G. Wells' Time Machine encounters these 2 races in the future:
Eloi & Morlock
Eloi & Balrog
Balrog & Morlock
Balrog & Cytharian
68. "Danger Will Robinson" is from
Lost in Space
69. In the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind, what did a man build a model of out of mashed potatoes?
A space ship
A laser gun
An alien being
70. In Piers Anthony's On a Pale Horse, the character Zane kills
71. The book Dune was written by
72. What do you see at the end of the movie Planet of the Apes?
The remains of the Statue of Liberty
The remains of the Empire State Building
A space craft
73. Who was Starman, in the movie by that name?
74. Who wrote & directed the horrible yet entertaining movie Plan 9 From Outer Space?
These 20 problems conceal the names of various movies, television shows, books & other things. Look for synonyms & miscellaneous word play to find the distorted titles. Example: Sidereal Battles (movie). The answer is STAR WARS. Some of the puzzles are a bit harder than this one, so feel free to use a dictionary or any other references that you think may help you.
75. You Haven't Met the Guy Who Climbed the Bean Stalk (computer game).
76. I'm Aware of Your Activities Last Year After School Let Out (movie).
77. Marsupial Commanding Officer of the Ship (television show).
78. Low Prime Number's Business (television show).
79. Goodbye, Upper Appendages (book).
80. Dianetics Author's Aged Female Parent (story).
81. Thrice a Proper Woman (song).
82. Final Dinner (painting).
83. Place it in the Will for the Dam Builder (television show).
84. Nude Firearm (movie).
85. Evening of the Undead (movie).
86. Crimson Crustacean (restaurant).
87. Upper Education (movie).
88. The Barrel of Dry Sherry (short story).
89. Do Not Indicate to Mother that the Temporary Infant Guardian is Deceased (movie).
90. Thouroughfare Domicile (movie).
91. Veracity Regarding Canines & Felines (movie).
92. Sway Me, Wolfgang (song).
93. Mr. Hall, Filled to Capacity (movie).
94. One Passed Through the Air Above the European Bird's Home (movie).
Without using any reference aids, see how many of the following 40 trivia questions you can answer correctly. Guess on those trivia puzzles you're not sure of.
Items 95-114 have been removed from this page, but now appear as the 20 problem Trivia IQ Test I.
Items 115-134 have been removed from this page, but now appear as the 20 problem Trivia IQ Test II.
See how many of these miscellaneous trivia questions you can answer correctly. Par is 10 correct, & you have done exceptionally well if you can answer more than 15 of these correctly. Enjoy!
135. Who wrote the poem that begins "'Twas the night before Christmas...."?
136. Who wrote Tar Baby?
137. What is skijoring?
A sport in which competitors ski backward
Falling down while skiing
A sport in which a skier is pulled by a horse
Making a 360 degree jump while skiing
138. Which of the following Olivers was involved in the Iran-Contra Affair?
139. What was gangster Al Capone convicted of?
running an illegal gambling ring
income tax evasion
140. If you are a sandhog, what are you?
A desert groundhog
A worker in tunnel construction
An extra for Baywatch
141. In the original Star Trek episodes, characters from the Enterprise wearing this color were most likely to be killed:
142. Who starred in the movie Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins?
143. Who plays the part of Martha in the movie Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?
Zsa Zsa Gabor
144. Who won World Cup '98?
145. Artis Ivey is better known as
146. Who makes the claim that they are "Earth's Biggest Bookstore"?
Barnes and Noble
147. Which of the following wrote Nancy Drew books?
148. Arnold Schwarzenegger has been known to
always support the Democratic party
149. Laughing gas is also known as
150. "To be or not to be" is from
Much Ado About Nothing
The Merchant of Venice
151. Following the Kennedy assassination, Lee Harvey Oswald was convicted of
First Degree Murder
Second Degree Murder
First Degree Murder & Treason
152. Michael Faraday discovered
The Bermuda Triangle
The Dead Sea Scrolls
153. Who possessed a License to Kill?
154. In 1996, The Miss Universe Pageant was held in
Las Vegas, Nevada
Miami Beach, Florida
See how many of the following 20 trivia questions you can answer correctly. Guess on those trivia puzzles you're not sure of.
155. By what name is the famous 15th Century Italian painter Antonio Pisano also known?
Raphael Pisanello Donatello Antonano Pasan Lareo
156. What did the Knights of the Round Table quest for?
ring sword shield crown dragon grail
157. Who starred in the movie Twelve Monkeys?
Willis Ford Washington Smith Gibson Davis
158. In what year did the Titanic sink?
1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916
159. Who wrote A Clockwork Orange?
Steinbeck Burgess Donaldson Golden King Lewis
160. What is a parallelepiped?
bong conduit polyhedron bomb tool racket
161. What was L.L. Cool J's 1984 debut single?
I'm Bad, I Need Love, Flava in Ya Ear, Make It Hot, Hey Lover, I Need a Beat
162. The Declaration of Paris was issued in
1846 1856 1866 1876 1886 1896
163. Thus Spoke Zarathustra was written by
Thomas Camus Kant Bacon Nietzsche Zoroaster
164. Who was the first female vice-presidential nominee of a major U.S. party?
O'Connor Reno Moseley-Braun Rodham Ferraro Kirkpatrick
165. The State University of Utrecht was founded in which century?
15th 16th 17th 18th 19th 20th
166. Which volcano erupted in 1980?
Vesuvius, Mount Saint Helens, Krakatau, El Chich�n, Crater Lake, Mount Hood
167. Which of the following families is the radish a member of?
Fagaceae Rutaceae Tamaricaceae Mustard Lycopodiaceae Aphidae
168. What is the first name of the individual the Pulitzer Prizes are named for?
Marcus Joseph Archibald Theodore Margaret Rutheford
169. Who conceived the social philosophy of objectivism?
Marx Pierce Garfield Rand Spencer Carlton
170. A Leyden Jar is an early form of
refrigerator capacitor urn lamp explosive grenade
171. Duke Ellington is best known as a
writer musician painter leader scientist sculptor
172. Chinese Boxing is better known as
Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Jujitsu, Kendo, Jeet Kune Do, Kung Fu
173. What was Mozart's first name?
Ludwig Walter George Isaac Wolfgang Amadeus
174. What fictional detective talked about the "little gray cells"?
Holmes Poirot Brown Spade Gideon Wimsey
Are you interested in the paranormal? The mythological? The extraterrestrial? We'll see. Try these questions assess your knowledge of the strrrrrrange! Good luck!
175. In which of the following states is the top-secret military installation known as Area 51 located?
176. Hermes is the Greek messenger god. Who is his Roman equivalent?
177. Which of the following creatures has allegedly been seen swimming in Canadian lakes?
Loch Ness Monster
178. Odin, the king of the Norse gods traded one of his eyes for
179. Many conspiracy theorists believe that humans haven't been back to the moon since ______ because it is inhabited by aliens.
180. Near the turn of the decade a satellite taking photos near one of Mars' moons was allegedly obliterated by a UFO. What country created this satellite?
181. Which of the following dragons comes from Chinese mythology?
182. In the Arthurian legend which of King Arthur's knights found the holy grail?
183. According to Greek mythology, the peacock received the "eyes" on its feathers from which creature?
184. Which if the following monsters is not a zombie?
185. In July of what year did a UFO allegedly crash near Roswell, New Mexico?
186. Which of the following creatures is not a nymph?
187. Which of the following monsters is not a hybrid?