Try to match the Greek names to the planets, based on their descriptions, & the Roman names to the gods. The Greek names are: Ares, Hermes, Aphrodite, Cronus, Poseidon, Zeus, & Hades (Uranus was left out - no wise cracks about that, now....). The Roman names are Saturn, Venus, Neptune, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter & Pluto. The description of each god is for the Greek version, unless listed otherwise. If you can get more than 7 of these right, you have done something truly astronomical & divine!
1. The planet closest to the sun has about 1/3 the force of gravity that is found on the surface of Earth. It revolves around the sun every .24 Earth years.
2. The sixth planet from the sun is encircled by rings. This planet consists mostly of hydrogen.
3. The fifth planet from the sun is the largest in the solar system. This enormous planet is made mostly from the two most abundant and lightest elements in the universe.
4. Named after the Roman god of war, this planet has two moons, known as Phobos and Deimos.
5. The eighth planet from the sun is also the fourth largest. It has a striking blue color.
6. The planet that revolves around the sun every 247.7 years is the ninth one from it. It has a large moon that is known as Charon.
7. The second planet from the sun is very bright, and is known as the morning star and the evening star at different times of the day.
8. This is the god of war in both Greek and Roman myths. In Greek mythology, he is the son of Zeus.
9. The messenger of the gods is known for his winged sandals and hat.
10. This god was at one time the ruler of the universe, and was one of the twelve Titans. He swallowed each of his first five children as soon as they were born, because he had been told that one of his children would overthrow him. The sixth child, Zeus, did (with a little help).
11. The god of the sea is often pictured with a beard and holding a trident. Although married, he had numerous love affairs. He and the Gorgon Medusa are the parents of the winged horse Pegasus.
12. The ruler of the Olympian gods is often pictured hurling a thunderbolt. This god has several children, some of them from his wife.
13. The goddess of love and beauty, she was originally married to Hephaestus, & later to Ares.
14. The god of the dead and ruler of the underworld was actually not evil. He is the brother of Zeus and Poseidon.