Click here to read the rules, to find other contests, or to learn how to participate in current puzzle contests.
10/31-11/3/03 Puzzle Contest:
You must get all of the following ScArY teasers right to be entered to win:
1. My first 3 letters are the word. I'm not your daddy, but what am I? (5 letters)
2. Cut off my first letter and then change my new first letter, and depending upon what you changed it to, you can have a type of judge in certain games, or a political unit. What am I? (7 letters)
3. I contain a word relating to the transference of fuel, as well as a word for relatives. What am I? (7 letters)
4. Judo chop! Actually, I'm much more likely to chop you in a different manner. I'm sometimes confused with the fella who plays that funny guy, but I'm not funny at all (at least not intentionally, for the most part). This day is very relevant to me. Who am I? (2 words)
5. Remove my last 3 letters and read me backwards, and you have something (usually many copies, although each is unique) used in many games. The guy who was the inspiration for me was paler than an imp, or something like that. Who am I? (7 letters)
2 ants start at 2 different corners of a cube that is suspended in space and simultaneously begin crawling across edges of the cube. Both always start at the same time, and reach their respective opposite corners at the same time. If they cannot ever cross one another or meet at the same corner, and no edge can ever be traversed by either ant more than once, what is the maximum number of edges they can cross in total before 1 or both of them will be unable to cross an edge of the cube?
My first 4 letters indicate something you are going to need that is larger than the one you have, according to a movie named for a certain finned creature. Remove those letters, and you have a male suitor. I am a type of officer on a ship. What am I?
I am a type of dog or a creature from mythology. My last half is a baked food, and something obtained from my first 4 letters is used in making tires, paints, and even ice cream. A well known soft drink partly classifies what I am. What am I?
The 10/13-10/14 puzzle was never solved, so here it is again, with a hint. This puzzle is now worth TWO puzzle pieces.
I am a word that relates to the support of or membership in either of two houses. Replace my last 6 letters with a certain letter, and you have part of the nickname of "Hannah". I contain 10 letters. What am I?
Decide which choice should most logically complete the following:
While it's true that Carl won the game, he has been playing for years, so don't give him too much credit. Every time he yells "fore!" in his squeaky voice,
1. I laugh so hard that I nearly cry.
2. I cry so hard that I nearly laugh.
3. I laugh until I nearly lose the meal I last ate.
4. I eat a meal until I nearly laugh.
5. People hold their ears due to the piercing sound.
6. People make piercing sounds while they hold their ears.
Remove my last 3 letters and add a different letter in their place, and you have a period of time. The 3 letters you removed are an atom or atoms. I am an officer of hundreds of years ago. What am I? (9 letters)
Imagine that you have 2 standard cubical dice but instead of numbers die #1 has the letters A, B, C, D, E & F on it, one letter per side, and likewise die #2 has G, H, I, J, K & L. If you alternate rolls of the dice, always starting with die #1, determine what chance there is that you'd spell out, with consecutive rolls:
BID with 3 rolls
DIAL with 5 rolls
FIELD with 8 rolls
UNSOLVED! The puzzle will be reissued for 10/6-10/7, and be worth TWO puzzle pieces.
4 friends, Kent, Keller, Karmen and Klive are on a canoe trip. 2 canoes are floating down the river side by side, with 2 people in each canoe. In each canoe, the older person is in front of the younger one. Also:
Keller is sitting diagonal from Karmen
The Engineer & the Programmer are in the same canoe
The Secretary is sitting diagonal from Kent
The Carpenter is sitting in front of Klive
The Engineer is younger than the Programmer
Keller is not the Engineer